Monday, August 23, 2010

Meet A Kid

Meet A Kid is a ongoing feature that profiles a resident of Goat Island

Name – Neal Carlson

Born –1974 (Age 37)

Job –Manager of Ferry Operations, GITX

About Me – I was born and raised on Goat Island. I started working for the city at age 16, and started working in the Ferry Operations department when I was 21. I became one of the assistant managers at 28, and manager at 33. 

Why I Love Goat Island – There are two things that I really love about the island. The first is the fact that it’s my home. Other than a few semesters at the community college in Corpus I’ve never had a desire to live anywhere else. The second is the immense sense of freedom this places gives people. I see it in their faces every day when they board the ferry. All of their troubles are left on the mainland, and they feel that anything is possible. 

Hobbies – It sounds like an odd hobby for a single man in his thirties, but I’ve grown to love bird watching. I’ve been all of the southeastern USA on bird watching trips, and I’m currently planning a trip to Australia. I also enjoy brewing my own beer. The ferry is also a great place for people watching as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment